Thursday, August 28, 2008

Grading the States, and On-Street Parking...

I'm feeling lazy; anybody out there in blog-land feel like doing some research for me?

First: many months ago the Pew Center released it's "Grading the States" report, where it ranks the states on the "effectiveness" of state governments.

I think it would be interesting to see if there's any correlation between their rankings and economic growth. Or poverty rates. Or student performance on the NAEP tests. Does it really matter if state governments are "effective"?

Second: the Town wants to ban parking on our street (High Street). My gut reaction is "no way! People drive too fast down our street already..." I wanna know: does traffic really slow down on residential streets with on-street parking? Are there more or fewer accidents on streets without on-street parking? I bet the answers are somewhere on the NTSB web site, but, as I said, I'm feeling lazy...

2 comments:

Larry Kelley said...

I'm feeling pretty lazy as well so I will just throw out anecdotal evidence.

I grew up on High Street--and yes, even 40 years ago we had on street parking (except in the winter where you could not park overnight).

I can't recall a single accident on High Street ever (although my car got towed one winter because I forgot to move it off the street)

Anonymous said...

I used to live on High st., and people cruise down that road regardless of parked cars. I saw someone smash the mirror off a parked car because they were going too fast for 2-way traffic. Most people slow down for the parked cars, but those are the safe drivers. It is too bad they are taking away your right to park on your street. Of course they won't let you park on your lawn either. I guess they need more revenue through ticketing :)