Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm a Professional Predictor!

I'm not a gadget geek. I don't have to have the latest&greatest cell phone or MP3 player. I don't like owning lots of stuff.

But I am a service slut. I try out all sorts of stuff; BookCrossing and Swaptree to recycle books, FreeCycle to give things away, and Prosper to lend money to strangers (I've been meaning to give Kiva a try; it's another way to lend money to strangers).

Lately, I've been having fun with Predictify:
Predictify is a web-based prediction platform where you can predict the outcome of real-world events, build a reputation based on your accuracy, and even get paid REAL MONEY when you're right! Best of all, it's free, no points or bets required.
I made an accurate prediction about drought conditions in California and made $10!

Of course, if I divided that $10 by the number of hours I've spent at predictify.com... well, I'm not going to quit my day job. I enjoy making predictions, and a website that keeps a running total of my prediction accuracy is a good reality check (we tend to remember when we were right, but forget when we were wrong).

I want a website that reads the news and the net, extracts predictions, automatically determines whether or not the predictions come true, and then gives pundits and bloggers a bullshit rating. With a browser plug-in, so when I came across anything from one of the idiots who said the Iraq war would be quick and cheap I'd get a great big "THIS PERSON IS AN IDIOT" splashed across the page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take a look at the Foresight Exchange, too. No cash, but lots of good claims, and a nice market-based trading system.